March 27 2020

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) - Information for individuals

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) - Information for individuals

If you think you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), please refer to our workfoirce update on the 24th March for details or visit

What if I am self-employed?

Last night the Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced additional measures to help businesses and the self-employed impacted by coronavirus (extracts below - restrictions do apply - see the link for further details).

  • HMG will pay the self-employed a taxable grant worth 80% of their average monthly profits over the last three years, up to £2500 per month
  • This will be available for three months. Will be extended if necessary
  • People can claim these grants and continue to do business
  • Covers the self-employed to the same limit as those who are furloughed

To ensure the funds reaches the people most in need:

  • Open to those with trading profits of up to £50,000 per annum
  • Available to people who i) make the majority of their income being self-employed, ii) Have a self-employed tax return for 2019

How to access

  • HMRC will contact you directly and you’ll have to fill out a form
  • HMRC will pay the grant directly to bank accounts.
  • Aim is to pay at the beginning of June (3 months backdated). Hoping to be quicker than that but recognition HMRC are now having to design two new systems
  • Anyone who missed the January filing deadline has an extra 4 weeks from today to submit their tax return.

Further details can be found at -


Stay up to date

Keep up to date with our latest news and analysis by subscribing to our regular newsletter

To find out about how we process your data, please read our privacy policy.