This Financial Analyst (FA) will play a pivotal and driving role in supporting the wider team in the cost management of budgets and providing timely financial insight, analysis and management information.
The role will work collaboratively with the Finance Business Partner and directly with other areas of the business.
The FA will be expected to support and in some areas take the lead, in the day to day management of operational cost budgets, working independently and directly with different departments and budget holders.
Key areas of responsibility
- Prepare month end accrual and prepayment journals to be posted into SAP.
- Ensure all general journals are fully supported with explanations, and all corresponding balance sheet accounts are fully understood.
- Take responsibility for dealing with any month end queries that may arise, ensuring that any actions are followed up in a timely manner.
- Responding to ad hoc queries and projects and providing support to the business heads, senior management, and Financial Planning & Analysis team.
Management information, insights and reporting
- Using excel, SAP and GDW to prepare month end reports that clearly show the operational and financial performance of departments.
- Variance analysis and explanation - using the MI investigate variances to budgets and forecasts at month end, presenting back explanations in a clear and concise manner to the business.
- Provide analysis & insight as required to the Finance Business Partner and budget holders, e.g. overtime, movements in headcount, overhead spend and other costs.
- Seek analysis and insight that explains the key income and cost drivers in the business, with a view to driving greater efficiency whilst driving down operational costs and income up.
- Play a key role in the development of financial reporting and management information systems projects as required to support the business.
- Undertake any ad-hoc analysis as directed, and when necessary take on key corporate reporting to the business.
Budgeting & Forecasting
- Proactively support the Finance Business Partner with building their operational cost and income budgets and forecasts.
- Take responsibility for certain operational cost budgets, leading the budgeting, forecasting and financial reviews for those areas with the budget holders.
- Work collaboratively with the budget holders in building their budgets, ensuring that the process is transparent and that there is clear feedback and challenge.
- Create high quality budget and forecast presentations based on input data.
- Help maintain a rolling risks and opportunities schedule to budget and forecast.
- Ensure that budgeting and forecast outputs are delivered to specified deadlines
- Provide a budget and forecast summary pack for the departmental budgets.
- Support the Finance Business Partner as required.
- Ensure that business processes are adhered to and where not remedial action is taken e.g. recruitment controls, raising purchases orders, budgetary control.
- Maintain adequate back up as required for all journals and key balances.
- Support as required at Year End audit time providing information and back up as required.
We have a fair and comprehensive selection procedure. It is our policy that there should be equal opportunity for and no discrimination against applicants on the grounds of gender, race, religion or belief, nationality, colour, pregnancy and maternity, sexual orientation, disability, age, marriage and civil partnership, union or non-union membership, socio-economic background or being a part-time or fixed term worker.